Full course description
Backyard Poultry Certificate Course
For a variety of reasons, there is an increase in interest in keeping backyard poultry. Backyard flocks provide the opportunity for people in rural an urban areas alike to produce tasty eggs and meat for personal and family food security. You might want egg layers. You might want to raise meat birds for a harvest in your freezer. You might even have a youth interested in raising chickens for their 4-H or FFA project, as these lower maintenance livestock can be kept in a fraction of the space for a fraction of the cost when compared to other species.
Whatever your reason for raising poultry, this course is designed to provide you with the knowledge and resources you will need to get your backyard flock off to a great start.
This self-paced course is expected to take 2-3 hours to complete and includes the following 6 modules:
- Getting Started
- Brooding, Basic Husbandry & Nutrition
- Egg Production
- Maximizing Health
After completing this course, learners will be able to:
- Identify rules and regulations relevant to raising backyard poultry in their state, city, or municipality
- Source healthy birds to raise in their backyard
- Apply concepts of basic husbandry, nutrition, and housing to successfully raise backyard poultry.
- Explain how eggs are produced
- Practice safe handling of birds and eggs
- Recognize health-related abnormalities of poultry through physical examination
- Describe the roles of of veterinary care and biosecurity in maximizing poultry health
There are NO refunds issued for this course.
If you have questions about the course, contact Tim McDermott at firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
At this time, this course is only offered in English.
First Time ScarletCanvas Users: After you enroll, you will receive two automated emails, one with the subject "Please confirm your email address - Ohio State ScarletCanvas." Use the link in that email to set up the password you would like to use for your account.
For technical assistance with the ScarletCanvas platform, including logging in and password concerns, please contact CFAES Online Outreach team at email@example.com. Please allow at least 24 hours for a reply during business hours, 72 hours over holidays and weekends.
To request a credit card receipt please fill out the ScarletCanvas receipt request form within 30 days of purchase and allow 3 business days for your request to be processed.