Full course description
COURSE DESCRIPTION & GOALS:
This online self-study course covers the basics of growing your own gourmet mushrooms, whether at home or as part of a business. Course modules will provide videos, reading assignments and activities on a few of the easiest-to-grow mushrooms, including shiitakes, oysters and wine caps.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
1. Select materials and equipment needed for the production of shiitakes, oysters and wine caps
2. Locate research-based information on mushroom cultivation
3. Apply the practices and techniques discussed in this course to their mushroom home or commercial operation
DISCLAIMER: This course is for educational purposes only. Proper mushroom identification is the responsibility of the grower/hunter. Methods described here are a starting point - every grower's situation is different. Some techniques can be tweaked to better fit the needs of the mushroom operation. The best way to learn is with practice and to not be discouraged by failure.
- Introduction to Fungi and the Fundamentals of Mushroom Cultivation
- Shiitake Mushrooms
- Oyster Mushrooms
- Wine Cap / King Stropharia Mushrooms
The target audience for this course is anyone interested in learning more about fungi and specialty crop production.
Questions? Contact Erika Lyon, OSU Extension Agriculture & Natural Resources, at 740-461-6136 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For technical assistance with the ScarletCanvas platform, including logging in and password concerns, please contact CFAES Online Outreach team at email@example.com. Please allow at least 24 hours for a reply during business hours, 48 hours over holidays and weekends.