Full course description
Do you want to start gardening but don’t know where to start? Or do you already have some gardening experience and a love for learning? Get started here with the basics of volunteering in the area of therapeutic horticulture.
Once the module is completed, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the benefits of volunteering in therapeutic horticulture programs
- Understand the principles of horticultural therapy
- Distinguish the difference between horticultural therapy as practiced by a licensed professional and therapeutic horticulture as practiced by volunteers
- Know the breadth of programs included in therapeutic horticulture
- Understand the goals of therapeutic horticulture
- Recognize effective teaching methods
- List ways to effectively work with youth, adults and facility staff
- Identify sources of appropriate horticultural activities and resources
Take this class anytime when you have the time. Participants will have access to the course materials for one year from the date of enrollment.
*Module curriculum based on the Ohio State University Master Gardener Volunteer Training. This course does not serve as a replacement for Master Gardener Volunteer training but may be used as a makeup session for current volunteers if allowed by the county Master Gardener Volunteer coordinator. For those who would like to become a Master Gardener Volunteer, contact the Master Gardener Volunteer coordinator for your county. A list of county programs can be found at https://mastergardener.osu.edu/about/ohio-mgv-county-programs.
If you have questions about the course please contact Jen Andon at firstname.lastname@example.org or Erika Lyon at email@example.com
There are NO REFUNDS for this course.
For technical assistance with the ScarletCanvas platform, including logging in and password concerns, please contact CFAES Online Outreach team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow at least 24 hours for a reply during business hours, 72 hours over holidays and weekends.